Two Thousand and Fifteen

Thursday, December 31, 2015


2015 was a year of change, travel and unpredictability.


The beginning winter months brought an end to a tough semester and a dismal New Year's. 


I had a very thoughtful Valentine's day followed by news that I was going to be Editor-in-Chief at my school's paper. 


My brother left in March to serve an LDS Mission in Minnesota and Connor and I ate out a lot.


I had my first trip to New York City for a conference at The New York Times. Then I wrapped up a drab Spring semester and dove headfirst into the most tumultuous summer of my life.


I spent nearly a quarter of the year out of the country, mostly Italy, with one trip to Paris. It was nothing like I thought it would be, but still a great experience. I returned to the states, stopped in New York, then flew home anticipating a rigorous semester but having no idea how hard the first few months would be. 


I felt lost and confused, still reeling from decisions made after the summer, until about September when things started looking up. I attended a conference in Los Angeles and had some important realizations about my career path. 


I celebrated my 22nd birthday in October and traveled to Las Vegas for Rise. My mother was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and had surgery the same month. 


November brought Connor's 24th birthday, great nights in with the Xbox and my first vegetarian Thanksgiving.


I spent early December worrying about finals, eating way more Cheese Pull-a-parts than anyone should and trying not to think about the fact that this semester was already over. Christmas came and went with plenty of snow, my mom's Christmas Eve chemo treatment and a sister who still believes in Santa.


Now I'm here, a day before the beginning of 2016 and I can't believe I can wrap up an entire year in so few sentences. I can recall certain days feeling so long I never thought they'd end. I still remember the tears, the stresses, the weight of the future looming. 

But I can also feel the summer sun on my face and Connor's hand in mine in New York outside the Metropolitan Museum of Art. There were good times this year, interspersed with bad, as life always is, but looking out over the not-yet-experienced months of 2016, I'm making a decision. 

2015 was a big year, yet I'm walking away from it with regrets and unresolved worries. And that's something I want to change for 2016. Call it a resolution or a promise or what have you, but I am committing myself to face 2016 and all it's challenges and potential with a positive attitude and no regrets. I hope that all of you have a wonderful New Year's Eve and that 2016 brings you happiness.

And if you'd like to keep up with my 2016 to see if I'll make good on my promise, you can find me continuing to post right here.

Always,

Kat

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm so sorry about your mom!! You are the greatest person.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet