Siena pt. 5 - "Guardale"

Tuesday, May 19, 2015


As you can tell from the photos above, cooking is serious business in Italy. We began our Wednesday with school as usual, then we hung out until we had our cooking class at 5:30pm.

We were instructed by our assigned chef on how to make everything from start to finish and then we split up to cook different parts of the meal. I cut the pears for the crustini. I cut them so good. I even sent my mom photos because I never cook and she was so proud.

The best part about this class is that you get to eat everything that you make! The meal took awhile to prepare and all of the other students were so hungry and excited to eat but Belle and I (the chica with the sunglasses on her head in the photo above) had gone to lunch hours earlier at Antonio's and he had fed us a three course meal! He was way too nice and kept bringing us food and calling me a "lucky lucky girl" and said that I had the best smile of the week so he'll give us food. We kept telling him to stop, we only went into the shop to get a panino but he wouldn't listen! We ended up being stuffed to the brim and a little more before we even got to our cooking class.

It was so funny and Belle and I didn't know what to do or how to make him stop. When Italians like you, they feed you and it's best to just let them do their thing. During the cooking class, I used a tense that we were learning in class that day: l'imperativo. I said to Belle, "Guardale!" She was toasting the crustini and burnt one so I told her to "Watch them!" One of the teachers walked by and heard and was impressed and then took me around the kitchen to make me say "Watch them!" about different items in the kitchen, just so I understood how to change the gender based on the word. It was "guardale" because bread is a feminine plural, but the mushrooms are a masculine plural so the ending would change to "guardali!" It gets confusing. But I was so proud of that moment because as he was taking me around the kitchen, the stuff we learned in class was finally making sense to me.

What I was able to eat of the meal was delicious and I've got copies of the recipe so I can make it again at home. Anyway, I live pretty far from the city so after dinner I ran from the school to catch the bus and it's a totally different one than I usually take. It goes a completely different route and I found the stop I was supposed to go to and my host sister was at the stop to show me how to go home but it was still nerve-wracking to be on a late bus, in the dark, in a city I have no idea how to navigate, without cell phone service.

It was a great night either way and we have another cooking class next week with a different chef so I'm excited to see how that goes!

A domani!

Katherine

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet