NYC pt. 2 - New York Times

Thursday, April 16, 2015



Well today I went to The New York Times building and attended a conference where professionals taught us about a career in journalism. And I was very, very, happy.

The New York Times building itself is all glass and steel, amazing to look at and incredible to be in. I wish we had gotten a tour of the newsroom itself but we just took elevator number 11 to the 15th floor which happened to be their Pulitzer Prize hall. The walls were covered in Pulitzer Prize winning articles from New York Times contributors and it was amazing to just be there. There were editors from different colleges in the surrounding states but the furthest travelers were from Las Vegas, Washington, and the Utahns! We got New York Times notebooks just for traveling so far. So that was great.

The writers were really inspiring and I learned a lot. We had a long day full of learning and afterward we went to the 9/11 memorial and the museum. I couldn't take many photos there, but I really didn't want to. It was a very sad, very sobering exhibit but it was beautifully done. I remember only a few things about that day, but it was totally worth it to go through the museum and understand what happened from so many perspectives.

After that we wandered the city and went to Grand Central Station which made me so happy because I love seeing these iconic places in real life. I can't contain myself. I look like a complete tourist, with my camera around my neck and my big smile looking up toward those incredible ceilings and buildings but I don't even care. It was an amazing experience and I loved being a part of it.

Tomorrow we get to go exploring and I'm excited to see even more of this city!

Always,

Katherine

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet