I'm blue da ba dee da ba die

Monday, December 08, 2014

Listen to this song while reading this post. (Can we talk about that music video? lol)

photos by Emily Cooper


Oh hi everyone. I’m alive. Also my hair is blue.

Isn’t Emily a great photographer? We went with Mila up the canyon for a quick shoot and I'm obsessed with the blue and green together. It’s kind of weird to see it in photos because it still doesn’t seem real, haha. I’ve wanted to dye my hair a different color for a long time, but wasn’t sure what color I wanted or how to go about doing it. Then I had an opportunity this weekend and decided to just go for it.

Here’s how it went down:

I didn’t do it myself; I have way too much hair for that, so I went to AVEDA Salon in Provo. We started with lightening my hair from mid-shaft to ends. Then washed for the first time. After that we lightened my roots. Wash #2. Here I am as a blonde:


It only took one time of lifting my hair before the color came on. I don’t know a lot about dying hair, but I can tell you that there are at least 5 different shades of blue in my hair right now. We did a dark blue on most of my hair. Wash #3. My new growth came out green so we did a violet color on them. Wash #4. Then we did enlightener on different streaks throughout my hair. Wash #5. Then there was more blue added. Wash #6. After that wash there was one more blue color and a final 7th wash.

The color that came out is a dark blue with lighter blue streaks throughout and a grey-blue in my bangs. I’m so excited to see it fade; it will end up a really pretty color. Here are some photos of it straight, it’s easier to see the color that way:


It probably took 14 hours you guys. Fourteen. Hours.

But I’m really excited about how it turned out and even though I kind of feel like a cartoon character, it’s been fun.

I’ve only had it since Thursday but I’ve already had a few odd comments, which was expected. It’s funny because people in my demographic think it’s really cool and tell me it’s pretty. People who are older than 35 think it’s weird that I wanted my hair blue and my mom keeps saying I look “old.” (Wait till it starts fading to grey mom! haha.)


I work in retail on the weekends and I went to get my brother a Christmas gift at a little known store called Hot Topic (lots of stuff for video game fanatics, you know?). I was there trying to find a shirt and this lady came up and started asking me where things were and I kind of laughed and said, “Oh, sorry, I don’t work here.” 

And she kind of fumbled for a moment before saying something like, "Well, Oh I uh..that's good you're so approachable and friendly..." then walked off and my life is just awkward. I mean, I can't blame her at all. I do have blue hair. 

Anyway I hope everyone is having a great week!

Always,

Kat

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. hahha that song is perfect for this, also slightly weird/embarassing side note: my husband & i always sing this song & my husband weirdly knows all the words to it.... anyways, you look SO natural with blue hair, it's sort of crazy how natural it looks on you. i'm for it :)
    xo
    kerry
    www.kerryjune.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally picture you guys singing this song. I hope you do the weird voices and have awesome dance moves to go along with it. haha

      I'm still getting used to it so I'm incredibly glad it looks natural! :)

      Delete
  2. wow, they seriously did such a great job. I can't believe how well your hair lightened! It looks UNREAL. I absolutely love it. you look like you were born to have blue hair. seriously, as I type this comment, I keep scrolling up to the photos and gawking lolol. I'm glad it turned out so well and you are happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously I was expected to have to lighten it a MILLION times because my hair is so dark and there's just tons of it! You were my inspiration, I wanted colored hair so so bad haha!

      Delete
  3. ah i love your hair and am glad you like my pictures! i loved our shoot so much and am excited to shoot on thursdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! P.S. I'm happy to see that you spell your name the right way. ;)

      Delete
  5. OBSESSED WITH THIS BLUE HAIR. you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad it turned out okay haha

      Delete

Popular Posts

Tweet Tweet